“𝗟𝗮𝘁𝗲 𝗦𝘂𝗺𝗺𝗲𝗿”. It’s a 𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 in Chinese Medicine commonly associated with the last 2 weeks of summer, but few people know that it was traditionally applied to the last 2 weeks of each season. It’s about 𝘥𝘪𝘨𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯, about 𝙥𝙧𝙤𝙘𝙚𝙨𝙨𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙚𝙭𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙞𝙚𝙣𝙘𝙚𝙨 before the next transition or phase. It benefits us to eat well, supporting our digestive organs - the ‘Spleen’ (pancreas) & Stomach.
Many are preparing for back to school in Sept, so I thought I’d share a recipe that’s great to have on hand if you need a quick breakfast or snack that the whole fam will enjoy - and is super healthy, too!
𝗠𝗼𝗿𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗚𝗹𝗼𝗿𝘆 𝗠𝘂𝗳𝗳𝗶𝗻𝘀
🔸1/3 cup unsweetened cranberries
🔸1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (or sub: sunflower seeds, sesame seeds or coconut flakes - or some of each!)
🔸1 ¼ cup grated zucchini
🔸2 cups grated carrot
🔸4 tsp. grated ginger
🔸1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
🔸¼ cup maple syrup or honey
🔸¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce
🔸3 eggs or sub 3 flax “eggs”
🔸2 tsp. vanilla extract
🔸½ cup coconut oil melted
🔸¼ cup unsweetened plain nut milk (eg almond or coconut)
🔸1 ½ cups almond flour
🔸½ cup g/f flour (I like oat flour, or chickpea flour for extra protein)
🔸2 tsp. Cinnamon
🔸1 tsp. baking powder
🔸¼ tsp. baking soda
🔸½ tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line muffin tin(s) with 15 paper liners (or use silicone muffin cups)
3. In a large bowl, combine flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt. Whisk to combine.
4. In a 2nd large bowl, combine zucchini, carrot, and ginger. Mix in the eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, apple sauce, cranberries & seeds and vanilla. Mix just until combined.
5. Carefully mix 1/2 of dry ingredients into the wet. Then add nut milk and mix just until combined. Add remaining dry ingredients.
6. Divide the batter into the muffin cups.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. After removing from the oven, cool in muffin tin for 3-5 minutes. Then remove muffins from the tin and continue to cool on a cooling rack.
Adapted from the inspiring @almostproperly 😋
#latesummer #earthelement #digestivesystem #spleenlove #spleenmedicine #spleenhealth #chinesemedicinenutrition #tcmhealth #nourishyourearth #transformation #chinesemedicine #tcmlove #torontoacupuncturist #healthandwellness #5elelements #5elementtheory #embodied #embodiedlearning #holistichealth #cosmeticacupuncture #foodmedicine #foodasmedicine #eatforhealth #healthygut #quickandhealthy